Location: Select Title 1 elementary schools in Hillsborough or Pinellas County
Purpose of the Position: Make a real difference in a child’s life. Join Seniors in Service to provide academic and social/emotional support to underserved children in grades K-3 who live and attend schools in low socioeconomic communities. Students need extra support now more than ever – join today by filling out the application below!
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Tutor and assist children through hands-on assistance in the classroom, individually or in small groups, to help them develop their literacy, social and emotional skills.
- Reinforce learning concepts in cooperation with teaching staff.
- Provide extra assistance to students with special needs, such as non-English-speaking students or those with physical, emotional, and mental disabilities/challenges.
- Serve as a positive role model, motivator, and friend.
- Build respect, self-esteem, and confidence.
- Be at least 55 years old
- Ability to read and write the English language
- Interest and comfort in mentoring children ages 5-8 years old
- Be dependable and consistent in meeting scheduled tutoring sessions
- Be willing to adhere to all program policies, including a level II background check
- Be a good listener, encouraging and supportive
- Be patient, flexible, and respectful of individual differences
- Be able to communicate through email and video-calling platform, such as Zoom, for trainings
Commitment Expected: 5-15 hours per week
Training: Your volunteer experience starts with a virtual Orientation using Zoom to go through tutoring guidelines, do’s and don’ts and program policies. Volunteers attend monthly 2-hour trainings with the whole group, presented virtually. This training includes learning best practices in providing social, emotional and academic support to children and helping children through challenges.
Next Steps: Fill out the below application.