Your Companionship Can Provide the Gift of Independence to Seniors and Rewards for You
Make independence a reality. The Senior Companion program is a nationally-affiliated program, through AmeriCorps Seniors that matches volunteers 55 and older with homebound elderly or disabled adults. Simply being lonely and isolated can lead to poor health. And sometimes a stressed-out caregiver just needs a little break. This program helps clients retain their independence for as long as possible, rather than being moved to a nursing home or assisted living facility.
Senior Companion volunteer opportunities include visiting clients in their homes, providing caring friendship, assisting with simple chores and helping with tasks of daily living, such as grocery shopping. By serving as a watchful eye, volunteering to help the elderly adds richness to the lives of those who otherwise are isolated and lonely.
We match you with a client, who has similar interests, and help create a schedule that is convenient for you. Senior Companions on average serve 15-40 hours per week volunteering to help two to four adult clients to be able to continue living in their own homes independently.
Volunteers receive pre-service orientation, training and ongoing support to maximize their experience.
AHCA License # 5776 for Homemaker and Companion Services
Senior Companion Rewards Are Abundant
- Make a difference in the quality of someone’s life
- Offer a valuable, needed service to your community
- Share your skills and interests and learn new ones
- Employ your intelligence and sensitivity to be an understanding friend
- Gain a deeper sense of purpose and increased life satisfaction
- Form valuable connections with others, benefiting your health, body and mind
- Help others and studies show your happiness increases by 7-16%
- Maintain your flexibility and ability to set your own schedule