Tutor & Mentor Kids
Location: Children’s Board Family Resource Centers
Readers in Motion has just launched one-on-one individualized tutoring sessions in Children’s Board Family Resource Centers! Our mission is to help children build literacy by engaging volunteers who tutor and mentor students and by encouraging parent/caregiver involvement. We have been working hard this summer to meet children where they are after learning of the new needs brought on by COVID. In our hour-long tutoring sessions, volunteers provide individualized attention and material with a literacy focus to help combat summer and COVID slide.
Tutor and Mentor Kids
Work Location: (Either of 2)
• Town N Country: 7520 West Waters Avenue, Suite 8, Tampa, FL 33615
• Mondays and Fridays- 10:00 am- 12:30 pm
• Brandon: 1271 Kingsway Road, Brandon, FL 33510
• Tuesdays and Wednesdays- 10:00 am- 12:30 pm
Purpose of the Position – Provide academic and social/emotional support to underserved children in grades K-3 who live and attend schools in low socioeconomic communities.
Responsibilities and Duties –
• Tutor and assist children individually to help them develop their literacy, social and emotional skills.
• Reinforce learning concepts in cooperation with resource center/program staff and/or child’s guardian(s).
• Provide extra assistance to students with special needs, such as non-English-speaking students or those with physical, emotional, and mental disabilities/challenges.
• Serve as a positive role model, motivator, and friend.
• Build respect, self-esteem, and confidence.
• Ability to read and write the English language
• Interest and comfort in mentoring children ages 5-9 years old independently
• Be dependable and consistent in meeting scheduled tutoring sessions
• Be willing to adhere to all program policies, including a level II background check
• Be a good listener, encouraging and supportive
• Be patient, flexible, and respectful of individual differences
Your volunteer experience starts with a tour of the Resource Center and explanation of the entire program. You will then be matched with 1-3 students who attend tutoring at the Resource Center and given learning material to work on with them. Volunteers also attend monthly 2-hour trainings, presented virtually. This training includes learning best practices in providing social, emotional and academic support to children and helping children through challenges.
Fill out the form below and someone from Seniors in Service will contact you soon to walk you through the next steps to begin volunteering. In question 4, please include the words “Readers in Motion South Shore and Beyond.”