Location – Children’s Board Family Resource Centers
- Temple Terrace Location: 5892 E Fowler Ave, Temple Terrace, FL 33617
- Commitment Expected: Thursdays & Fridays, 3:30pm – 4:30pm Nov 2020 – May 2021
- North Tampa Location: 116 W Fletcher Ave, Tampa, FL 33612
- Commitment Expected: Mondays & Wednesday, 3:30pm – 4:30pm. Saturdays 10:00am-11:00am; Nov 2020 – May 2020
Purpose of the Position – Provide academic and social/emotional support to underserved children in grades K-3 who live and attend schools in low socioeconomic communities.
Responsibilities and Duties –
- Tutor and assist children individually to help them develop their literacy, social and emotional skills.
- Reinforce learning concepts in cooperation with resource center/program staff and/or child’s guardian(s).
- Provide extra assistance to students with special needs, such as non-English-speaking students or those with physical, emotional, and mental disabilities/challenges.
- Serve as a positive role model, motivator, and friend.
- Build respect, self-esteem, and confidence.
- Be at least 55 years old
- Ability to read and write the English language
- Interest and comfort in mentoring children ages 5-9 years old
- Be dependable and consistent in meeting scheduled tutoring sessions
- Be willing to adhere to all program policies, including a level II background check
- Be a good listener, encouraging and supportive
- Be patient, flexible, and respectful of individual differences
Training – Your volunteer experience starts with a tour of the Resource Center and explanation of the entire program. You will then be matched with 1-3 students who attend tutoring at the Resource Center and given learning material to work on with them. Volunteers also attend monthly 2-hour trainings, presented virtually. This training includes learning best practices in providing social, emotional and academic support to children and helping children through challenges.
Next Steps To apply, please fill out the below application or contact Pam Danwing: (813) 492-8927. email@example.com