Work Location: Children’s Board Family Resource Centers.
- Temple Terrace Location: 5892 E Fowler Ave, Temple Terrace, FL 33617
- North Tampa Location: 116 W Fletcher Ave, Tampa, FL 33612
Purpose of the Position: Provide academic and social/emotional support to underserved children in grades K-3 who live and attend schools in low socioeconomic communities.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Tutor and assist children individually to help them develop their literacy, social and emotional skills.
- Reinforce learning concepts in cooperation with resource center/program staff and/or child’s guardian(s).
- Provide extra assistance to students with special needs, such as non-English-speaking students or those with physical, emotional, and mental disabilities/challenges.
- Serve as a positive role model, motivator, and friend.
- Build respect, self-esteem, and confidence.
- Be at least 55 years old
- Ability to read and write the English language
- Interest and comfort in mentoring children ages 5-9 years old
- Be dependable and consistent in meeting scheduled tutoring sessions
- Be willing to adhere to all program policies, including a level II background check
- Be a good listener, encouraging and supportive
- Be patient, flexible, and respectful of individual differences
Commitment Expected: 2-15 hours per week
Training: Your volunteer experience starts with a tour of the Resource Center and an explanation of the entire program. You will then be matched with 1-3 students who attend tutoring at the Resource Center and given learning material to work on with them. Volunteers also attend monthly 2-hour trainings, presented virtually. This training includes learning best practices in providing social, emotional and academic support to children and helping children through challenges.
Next Steps: Fill out the below application.